04 July 2009

Independence Day

Independence Day - The Fourth of July

My brother took it upon himself to have a cook-out for the family and it was wonderful. As I sat in his back yard, I looked around at my family and the extended family members and thought how lucky we all are to be a part of this. I saw four generations of my family sitting in front of me. I looked up at the families two houses up and saw at least three generations of families there also. Happy people, enjoying each other's company, living in the moment. How fortunate are we all to be a part of this phenomenom, several generations gathered together. Nephews and nieces looking up to their aunts, uncles and grandparents; beautiful Peyton seeing her mother, grandparents, great-grandparents and great-aunts & uncles, and I know she will remember those faces for the rest of her life. We all make mistakes in life but we teach the ones we love the important things that they will carry with them for their whole lives, because we love them.

I came home about 9:30 and sat myself down on my porch to watch the local fireworks. I called my Ohio sister when the fireworks started to make sure she and her family made it home ok. She said I sounded like a five year old describing the fireworks. This was the most amazing night for me. It was as if they were putting on this display just for me. It filled the air and space in front of me like a giant TV screen, just for me. I laughed like I haven't laughed since I was a child and it was worth rushing home for. I need more of this; simple, joyous, uncomplicated life.

There is so much life out there, explore and find what makes you happy!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous05 July, 2009

    You are so right - everyone needs to bring back the simple, honest, joyful moments in life & I appreciate & thank you for doing so just with your words. To hear the joy & excitement in your voice was beautiful & it took me back to my youth as well & the wonderment of the 4th of July & the fireworks. I have to say that I appreciate them more now because I was a bit afraid as a little kid (hiding under a chair in Uncle Paul's house). We had a wonderful day with our family & always making memories are the best part of life.
    J-Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous07 July, 2009

    You are so right. I am sitting here right now listening to Coldplay's "sparks" and I cant stop thinking about Jayme. We are all so lucky to have these people in our lives. When you are out, count the number of people you see alone, fighting with their spouse, or whatever. There are a lot of unhappy people in this world that do not see the "sparks" in life. The little things that wipe all those bad moments away and make everything worthwhile. I miss everyone so much. Maybe thats why I cried at Gram and Pap's anniversary party but oh well. They were tears of joy knowing that I can always come home and be surrounded with so much love. Even though I miss my previous life, I made the right decision. I have a new life now but never forget those wonderful moments I spent with everyone at home and look forward to many more. We are all so lucky.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ry.

    Rock and Roll Auntie

    ReplyDelete