16 August 2009

Girls Gone Wild (Not)


This weekend was spent away in the company of two of my sisters. A quiet place in the mountains, a wine festival, shooting stars and companionship. Anytime I go to this particular place, my agenda is to go a little crazy, cut loose and let my hair down. And thankfully, many times when I visit this place, I become a boneless wonder. The muscles relax along with the brain, indulgence in a new cocktail becomes a treat rather than a mission and "do whatever you feel like doing" becomes the mantra. In other words, NO AGENDA. Wake up whenever, eat breakfast or not, saunter through winery booths-glass in hand; and then decide air conditioning and a Bloody Mary rules the day. Laugh hysterically over nothing at all and head home to look at the goodies you bought.

The only goal was to see a meteor. The sky is clear and sharp up on the mountain and I sat outside both nights hoping to see just one. No luck, but that's ok. The sky was amazing without the shooting stars. My sister saw two on the second night. No dressing up and going to hear the band playing at the lodge. Way too much effort. And, while I am still an I-need-to-hear-that-band kinda girl, I will say that it had no draw for me this weekend. The peace and quiet also invited me to revisit other times spent in that place with those loved and lost. Again, it was ok.

The next time I go to the mountains, I will take my party clothes again. I will go to hear the band, I will have a few drinks, I will smile and talk to a stranger and I will close the bar! I've done it before and will do it again. But I will also still be a boneless wonder :-)
Thank you, Island Woman, for the invitation..

5 comments:

  1. I like this. It is kind of how I feel when im out fishing. My favorite time to fish is when its just barely raining. Your on the lagoon, fly rod in hand, and not another soul in sight. No sounds, no distractions, just you and nature. The best part about it is hearing that rain hit your jacket. For me, it brings me an unusual feeling. The feeling of knowing that even though its raining, it is still beautiful. Knowing that God has given me this rain for a reason, to feel at peace. I do not know if this makes sense because it is a weird feeling to express but I thought I would share it. Keep writing, I love it.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, its the same feeling I used to get staring out at that black sky when I used to go to the mountains. Its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Love you.
    Rock & Roll Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe someday the third sister will get to enjoy the serenity of this place with her siblings. Wish I lived closer. It sounds peaceful & at the same time fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J-Bird,

    Wish you had been there as well. Let's plan for fall/winter?

    ReplyDelete