24 September 2009

To Quote Robert Plant "Oooh, She Cooks"

My friend Mitzi asked me today if I had ever written anything on my blog about how much I love to cook. And there it was, that inspiration from an unexpected source.

I was never much interested in cooking early on and I'm really not sure what has sparked this latest desire to create with food, but I'm just going to go with it. Who can resist the heady aroma of fresh basil, the sun-drenched bite of lemon grass, the aroma of vanilla and cinnamon wafting through the house, or that decadent first crunchy-sweet velvet taste of creme brulee on the tongue.

This may sound a little freakish, but I love to stand and look at the produce section just after it's been refreshed with water. All those colors, tastes, textures just waiting to be turned into something that satisfies. I love the smell of garlic on my hands. I don't hurry to the sink to wash it off. I hold my hands up to my face and breathe. There is something so satisfying at looking at a pile of ingredients on the kitchen counter and combining them one by one into a dish that in no way resembles the original components. I love the sound my knife makes, that repetitive chop. The sound of onions and pancetta sizzling in a pan. Pasta water boiling away, a whisk against the side of a bowl or the snap of a snow pea. Food Music.

I also think my attraction to cooking is connected to the kitchen itself. As a child, the kitchen was the room in the house where everyone congregated. It's a warm, safe, friendly room. A room to not only cook in but to laugh, talk and simply relax. I love to have someone sitting with me while I cook, wine in hand. You'd be surprised what people will tell you when you're cooking for them!

I'll cook for one or twenty-one. I'll try anything once, both cooking and eating. If you come to visit, I'll cook for you and you will relax, eat well and laugh. I promise! So what are you waiting for, come on over :)

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! And so very true! the energy we have, the mood we're in, the thoughts we think ALL affect the food we're cooking! Much better to infuse the meal with love and affection. I'll come eat at your table anytime, luv! :) Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing that you enjoy all those "small" things about cooking like the sound of the knife, the smells, etc. I find these same things all through life. The smile Jayme has when watching a funny movie, the wink my dog makes every once in a while, and the sound of a ladyfish jumping out of the water behind my boat. As you know, I love fishing and the other day I went out for about 3 hours and I cannot tell you how relaxing it was. I just sat there. No worries, just the sun burning the skin on my face and the sound of the minute waves colliding with a dock. This didnt last for a few minutes but more like 2 hours. It was so relaxing so I can relate to this very much. Keep enjoying those moments, it will bring even more happiness into your life. Love you!!!!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have put it better myself. Food is family. Whenever we are are together, we gravitate to the kitchen & meals can be simple or elaborate but they always mean "family time". We cook together & eat together & "enjoy" the food. We can remember a good meal years later & still linger over the tastes & smells & especially the conversation. Food makes for wonderful memories.

    J-Bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work at a nutritional store, so Im recommending healthy products, diets, and workout regimens constantly. Its easier said than done to incorporate everything and keep a healthy diet. I find music relaxing and it definitely aids in the enjoyment of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rakeback:

    Thanks so much for reading and commenting !

    ReplyDelete