02 December 2009

Winter Adventures in Serendipity (#2)


My morning began by waking up to an almost cold wood stove. How dare I sleep and let the fire go out :) After 45 minutes of fighting with paper, kindling, logs that refused to burn and turning the air blue with bad words, I finally had a good fire going. I was quite proud of myself.


It was another cold morning but a beautiful one. The night had left everything covered in a sparkling white frost. Blue-jays and wrens were holding onto the feathery stalks of the tall grasses eating seeds and chattering. I sat watching out the window with feet up and a hot cup of tea until I remembered that 2 dogs, 4 cats, 5 rabbits and 2 birds needed to be fed as well.

I'm finding it more difficult this time to relax into solitude, to enjoy my own company. Perhaps it's simply because it's winter and time spent outdoors is limited. I'd fallen into an easy pattern during the week I spent here in the summer. Winter cabin-fever seems to have set in.

I was, however, able to accomplish a task that's been hanging over my head for weeks. Every year my family has an annual Christmas party before Christmas. For over thirty years each and every member of the family has hand-made a Christmas ornament for those parties, everyone/every year. The party is less than two weeks away so I used today to dig through my friend's craft boxes and I am happy to say that my ornament is finished. I'm quite pleased with it and very happy that I won't be doing this at the last minute next week.

As I sit here typing, rain has begun to fall, making everything dark and dreary outside. But inside, every animal in the menagerie is asleep, the aroma of a beautiful roast and vegetables cooking in the oven is wafting through the house, my favorite music is playing in the background and a new book of poetry by Seamus Heaney is waiting for me. Not such a bad day after all.

1 comment:

  1. If you find yourself typing 'All work and no play makes Diana a dull girl" and you start talking to a ghostly bartender you better get concerned. If you see two small twin girls.... run. It's The Shining all over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete