26 January 2010

Chair Dancing


I haven't been feeling like myself the last few days. You know that feeling, no energy, scattered thoughts.  I can't quite put my finger on the source.  It may simply be due to the time of year, worry about my father's health, a death in the family last week or a combination of many things. 

After doing some work early this morning, I decided to check in with Twitterverse.  There is ALWAYS something or someone there to make me smile.  Today I found music.  Friends sharing their favorite songs.  My friend and favorite Blip.fm DJ, João , who has introduced me to music I've never heard and all of it fun.  Another from Canada with the most eclectic taste in music of anyone I know, including myself.  My friend Martin James from Scotland, who composes, plays and sings his own music.  It's haunting and beautiful. Take a listen, you won't be sorry.

As I sat and listened, I noticed that I was feeling lighter.  The cloud was lifting and the chair-dancing had begun.  Before I knew it, I was up and dancing around the room to Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire.  And smiling :-)

Music has such an effect on me.  When I want to get myself moving, I listen to HOWL by Florence and the Machine.  To mellow down easy, Ottmar Liebert .  So, tell me please, what song, music, melody lifts your spirits or lifts you from your chair to send you danceing around the room.  I know you all do it :-)

5 comments:

  1. LOL - right now it's anything with a beat & granddaughter Peyton in my arms - Elmo singing "Elmo's Song" seems to be the song of choice lately :) But over the holidays, she & I were really moving to the songs from the movie White Christmas. We would glide along with Danny Kaye - she just loved it! I tend to just move to whatever is playing in the background - always have - love to cook & clean to music - always puts you in a good mood!

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. garbage i think i'm paranoid
    morcheeba the sea
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. most hip hop, ooh, Sly and the Family Star!! way too mant to list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shoot!! i meant family STONE!! i was thinking of there song "everybody is a star"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the only music I dance to would be Country or Trance. However, I'm not in the mood for those, so instead I'll list a few songs that I have been singing along with lately:
    Buffalo Soldier and One Love and Redemption Song, all by Bob Marley.
    Fade Into You by Mazzy Star.
    Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead.
    Lily (My One And Only) by The Smashing Pumpkins.
    Thanks Diane for posing such a cool question ;-) sorry for your personal loss and hardship. Just remember that all things are temporary, even the bad things. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete