04 January 2010

The Road to Nowhere

In my poetic friend's blog today, http://www.lerrnst.blogspot.com/ he used a phrase "why don't we follow a nomad road". When I read his poem and came to those last words, my mind initially went in a different direction than his poem intended. His words were serious, addressing important issues. But all my mind saw at first was the appealing idea of a road to nowhere, to the unknown, the unexpected.

I wanted immediately to find that road. I envisioned a peaceful place with an infinite view, beckoning me to take the first hesitant steps of a journey. Of all things, Robert Plant came to mind and the story told often of his drive through the Saharan desert in 1973. Driving along on a road cutting through the desert with no apparent end for miles upon miles. All that emptiness becoming the fuel to his inspiration for one of the band's greatest songs.

I pictured myself walking on a road in the mountains. No sounds but the wind in the trees. No voices, no cars, no telephones; nothing to distract from the simple pleasure of a peaceful mind. Along with the anticipation of the discovery of what would be waiting at the end of the road, if in fact there was an end.

I wanted to feel that road under my feet, hear my footsteps, walk with no purpose but to walk. No requirement to reach any destination, no time restraints, no need to speak. An escape. My road probably doesn't exist or if it does, I may never find it. But I will continue to look. Not as an escape but as an opportunity for discovery.

What does your "road to nowhere" look like, where would it be and would it have an end? I'd like to know. We may one day find ourselves on the same odyssey.

2 comments:

  1. and your story reminds me of bonnie and clyde and wild at heart of david lynch. but a road to nowhere reminds me also your Pittsburgh short story #2, the invisible friend, someone who finds peace only when finally returns home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friend Lerrnst,
    It is a conundrum, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete