04 February 2010

Six Women


I attended the wake for my uncle James Thomas Walmsley tonight.  He is the second man in on the right in the photo above.  He was the last son in a family of thirteen children.  Everytime I look at the photo, I am astounded by how beautiful and strong they all are.  My mother is in the white dress, lower right.  She is incredibly beautiful, even now. 

As I stood beside my uncle's bier, paying my respects, I felt my legs begin to shake.  I suddenly had memories flooding back onto me of this uncle and his sisters and brothers on the Sunday afternoons we all spent at their parents home when I was a child.  Those were by far some of the happiest memories of my lifetime, those Sunday afternoons. My uncle Jim was a quiet man, but I could see him so clearly at that moment as the young man he was in those days.

I've spoken many times here about my family.  There are many of us on both sides.  I am constantly amazed every time I see them all together.  Tonight, one image has stayed with me.  My mother and her five sisters.  Their sister Ann passed away a long time ago.  Look at them in this photo.  They make me cry with their beauty. 

After making the rounds to say hello to everyone, I sat myself in a chair and just looked at them.  All fragile in some way, the oldest at ninety-eight years.  Despite illness or frailty, they were still beautiful.  Supporting each other, wiping tears, smiling and remembering.  A circle of six, no parents or brothers to lean on.  Women who raised many children, who felt loss and joy, who never faltered in the most difficult of times, women to be admired.  Beautiful women, strong women, loving women.

I can never hope to be who or what they are, I can simply look in wonder and be grateful that they are in my life.

"She was Samson strong and Buddha wise" 
from the song Pale New England Sky by Bill Deasy

5 comments:

  1. Diana, as usual, your words stirred so much and served as a wonderful reminder. Looking at this gorgeous family; realizing that those who are not gone but are now frail creates a reminder of how fleeting youth is. That only true beauty and strength endure the ravages of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All hail to the Walmsley Women - beautiful & strong. I'm honored & humbled to be a part of them & I thank you for your memories. God willing I'll know exactly what I will look like when I reach our Mother's age :) What a beauty still!

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts of sadness today as I read this. I feel bad to not be there for mom. But yet, a beautiful story...which brings a smile. Thank you, sister, again, for your lovely words.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. weeping for my best friend. cannot fathom the pain. cannot imagine all the joy felt as a young person in your family either. blessed and in pain. i feel for you as you are part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a word that comes to mind each time I read one of your pieces. Graceful. Like a crystal glass carefully set down on the table. Thank you for sharing Diana.

    ReplyDelete