07 August 2010

Unfinished Portrait


I look in the mirror
and study the face that looks back
eyes wide open
the blue changing color as I watch
a bee-stung bottom lip
a hint of a smile
laugh lines brush the corners
of eyes and mouth
a good painting
but, something is missing.
A palette of exotic color
a fine brushstroke
or a glaze to build depth
perhaps a blending 
to soften the silhouette.
I look again, a closer look
and then I know.
My painting is missing 
the reflection of you
in my eyes.
Until then,
I am an unfinished portrait.

3 comments:

  1. such perfect longing. an 18th. century poem. beauty beyond...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! Interesting that you should write this because I have an artist friend, Chiarina Loggia who is has her show running right now till Aug/12 called Mirror Mirror and is based on the theme of reflections http://www.collectiveworks.ca/
    Awesome writing Diana!! ღƪ(ˆ◡ˆ)ʃ ☼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is eerie, she's holding a red hand-held mirror! http://chiaink.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/will-you-look-in-the-mirror/
    Fabulous poem, would have loved to use it in my show!

    ReplyDelete