03 March 2011

Southern Magic

Photography Link




















She came to life on a wet opalescent night
a night wrapped in occluded moonlight
skin perfumed with sweet white gardenia
and red oriental poppy

She breathed deep the antediluvian scent
of river tides and incense of spanish moss
through half opened lips her tongue
tasted the new exotic, the aged decadence

She heard the deep low moan of a sax
echoing through Forsyth Park
its voice a fluid catalyst of passion
rolling over her like soft thunder

Her body hummed and shivered
with old mysteries and older secrets
that stripped her bare as she succumbed
to southern magic


[ Inspired by my favorite southern city, Savannah GA, and by my favorite sax man James Rinalducci . ]

15 comments:

  1. Exquisite.Sense arousing, mystical, obscured in mist. My kind of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful imagery. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly, this is beautiful, I am honored and inspired by this, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Love the south! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a delicious write...you paint a beautiful picture...and music moves me much the same...

    ReplyDelete
  6. being fan of the sax only adds to the exotic flavor. love the magical aspect "she came to life" lends. now you got me pondering . . . :)

    Monty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great old magics, I love mythical poetry anyway and this was beautiful diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is intense and beautiful-- gorgeous language. xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this poem, and that picture :)

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhhh - you had me with the deep low moan of a sax...beautiful write diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such vivid imagery, Diana. My every sense was opened to your imagination and I consumed this poem. Or maybe it consumed me, getting lost in the misty mythworld of Savannah. Lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, Spanish moss saxophone red poppy southern magic is always a hit in my poetic books!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "She came to life on a wet opalescent night
    a night wrapped in occluded moonlight"

    beautiful from first word to last.

    *hugs* dani ♥

    ReplyDelete