16 July 2012

Tides

Photograph ~ Diana Matisz

standing at the rim of one world
as i stare, squint-eyed, into an easterly horizon
seductive tides begin the dance
teasing feet to come a little closer
with a tickle, between the toes
licking an insistent path
past calves and knees
fondling thighs and belly
with rhythmic susurrus
of primal ebb and flow,
they lift and lay me prone, splayed
and, by the time they reach
my breasts, free will is drained
and i am nearly drowned
in the ageless sand of portogallo dreams
the fawn dust of castle walls
then, as ever,
i will turn my eyes away
from what i cannot see
and will not ever touch
and am, once again
standing at the rim of one world
dripping in desire
waiting for the surge
that will, yet again,
turn my eyes
easterly



[Posted this evening for OpenLinkNight at the dVerse Poets Pub. Although I haven't shared my work there in a little while, I do always reserve Tuesday evenings for reading so many of the wonderful poets who share their writing. This is one of my favorite reading rooms. Do yourself a favor and visit. You won't be disappointed.] 


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful perspective. Love the use of the phrase 'rythmic susurrus' and how you make the reader feel the ebb and flow of the tide coming in with the last part ...waiting for the surge that will, yet again, turn my eyes easterly. Wonderful write.

    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you nene...I appreciate your visit here and your very kind comment. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evocative, sensual. The cycle of life, love, desire? The raw mystery of human nature? Begs so many questions. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Greg, both for stopping by and for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the last six lines, it is an especially good, invocation of the Dawn...stellar...words that are mean to be lingered in for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Edward, for visiting my other home. Happy to see you and I appreciate your thoughtful comment x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evocative & beautiful writing..."in the ageless sand of portogallo dreams" is a fabulous line...Loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous writing, Diana...The tides making love to your body...and that magical perspective of two worlds. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...love the sensuality...the almost losing control then the snap back to reality as you wait for the reason to turn....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written!
    Tides bring us in and then send us out on our way to new shores and new beginnings!
    Love is found and shared then one turns to perhaps the reality of a loss.

    I especially like this stanza--
    "free will is drained and i am nearly drowned
    in the ageless sand of portogallo dreams
    the fawn dust of castle walls then, as ever,
    i will turn my eyes away from what i cannot see and will not ever touch"

    Perhaps a dream never reached . . .

    Lots to think through, loved the read!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!! Masterful Diana! I kid you not. You had me engulf in the imagery. The tension between fantasy and sexuality, told with exquisite poetic excellence leaves me breathless. I love the way you brought the ending around and left me a reader, saying as if a child-again, again, and again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A look to the eastern, a new day maybe, but the old day isn't too bad with all that thigh and skin talking :)
    Excellente post. I could sense the desire and want for whatever it is that is east. Excellente!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this earlier when I re-tweeted it. It's lovely and filled with amazing wonder and grace, oneness with the water that cradles and rocks us into being once more. Beautifully written Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful. the passing of waves, beaches are very sensual places. rhythmic edges of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a magical piece! How the tides tear at us, luring us to unknown horizons - yet we are united in an ocean ... a mesmerising poem : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Martin x

    ReplyDelete