21 August 2012

Changeling

Photography by Simon K. Lloyd

i was born a water baby
piscean () by name
my element fluid
mutable
living true to my nature
a liquid spirit
illusive and fey
no danger to any
mortal
who dared to
swim in my tides
eternally
in the opposite
direction
but today,
today i am a kelpie
smooth and sleek
with a desire to devour
dripping from my mane
a desire not for mortal flesh
but for the meat of your words
you delicious poetic morsels
but be forewarned
once you fall into my trap
your words will adhere
to my skin
forever
and i will drag them
to the bottom of my river
feast on them until i'm sated
and then hide beneath the reeds
showing only my eyes
until the next poet comes along

[ My gratitude to Simon K. Lloyd for the use of his wonderful kelpie photo. You can find more of his photography here at Poems and Pixels along with links to his other sites. ]

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! The hunger for poetry is an eternal craving, isn't it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piscean encapsulation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grateful thanks, Martin and nene, for reading and commenting x

    ReplyDelete