04 May 2013

The Music of a Captive Heart

i say shhh
can you hear it?
how can you possibly
not?
i can't write
or read
or think
can't shut it out
nor turn it off
don't tell me
you can't hear 
that beautiful
terrible
melody
harmony 
of stones
skipping
over rivers of tears
be still, listen
you might catch
the soft staccato drum
of a woman's footsteps
in circles, searching
stop talking, listen
to the a cappella rustle
of owls in pines
low moan adagios
of tidal estuaries,
eastbound trains
hold your breath, listen
to broken chord murmurs
of a beloved voice
a virtuoso
reaching for the highest
notes
if all else fails
press your ear
against my breast
put your hands
upon my back
pull me tight
stay there, listen
can you hear it
now?

6 comments:

  1. I love the rhythm of this, Ma'am--it's glorious, like breathing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sir...I wasn't sure anyone could hear this, but me x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend x

      Delete
  4. how very beautiful you write Your words held me captive my heart missed a beat as each line takes ones breath away .. your poetry is just Bliss :)) always b x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you always, for taking the time to visit here and for your kind comments x

      Delete